Re: Now: Jasper

Kerry Isherwood

Corrine,

Im so sorry you are dealing with so many horrible issues right now.  I have not had to -- and cannot begin to -- fathom what you are going through with two ailing horses.  I have lost many dogs and pets throughout my life, but I've never dealt with laminitis as severe as Jasper's nor have I lost a horse of my own.

I have, however, been with friends recently who have faced catastrophic situations with their horses.  My heart broke each time each friend hugged me and cried on my shoulder when they received the grave prognoses.  I guess because their pain is still fresh for me I was moved to write.  I wanted to tell you that when confronted with an extreme situation regarding our horses, it is absolutely ok to consider euthanasia.  I hope with all of my heart that that statement is not offensive to you, most importantly, or to the list members & list owners.  I probably could have worded that more gently, but my sentiment is that no one will judge you for considering it and absolutely no one, including yourself, can make you feel guilty for making such a momentous decision.  The ability to alleviate all pain & suffering in a loved one is an enormous & powerful gift.  Again, gift may not be the word everyone might choose, but I do believe taking on another's pain so he or she may finally rest and be pain-free is a gift, in some form.

My sincerest apologies if this is inappropriate in any way.  It was not my intentions.

I wish you the best of luck for Jasper & your mare, and of course, yourself & family.

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014