Re: Clippers for Cushings Coat

hawkhilldeb@...

Hi Judy--  I only have a section B Welsh pony (he's still pretty big) but, and I know this sounds hard to believe, I have had good success for the last three years clipping him with this:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c446-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&ccd=IGO047&gclid=CPCFtr2liMYCFc9hfgodXK8AEA

It is a cordless Arco SE clipper.  I got it because at 22 years, Cory had never been clipped and I didn't want to have a battle with him.  I hoped the cordless clipper would be quiet and unobtrusive and in fact, with his fan on he doesn't even notice it.  I don't even think this is advertised as a horse clipper.

In less than an hour I can have all of his winter coat off of him and he looks pretty good.  I admit that there are some rough spots, but that's me, not the clipper.  I am only interested in getting the long hair off.

I did buy a new blade this year, and it was like a hot knife through butter.  Also, Cory hates being bathed and although I did my best, I wouldn't say he was the cleanest horse.  So, I do recommend this clipper with the caveat that I don't know how large Rudy is or how the clipper would work on a large animal.  The blade is only about an inch and three quarters.  I am only telling you all of this because before I ordered it I dithered for weeks trying to figure out what to get.  I wished I had more info.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/