Re: Help with Jiaogulan?

Maggie

Hi Belinda,

You are welcome!  And no worries on when you get back to posting. It's a busy as well as emotional time.

Cute name, Bug!  Glad to hear he is feeling somewhat better in his Soft Rides!  As far as the icing goes, you don't have to soak his feet in ice, but can also opt to wrap ice around his hooves/lower legs.  You can use ice boots like this:

Or may even have the ice blankets like these below in your freezer already:

Also there are several files in the below folder that you should read. "Cooling and Warming when you can't soak"  "Lameness and Vasodilation"  "Laminitis--P3 realignment basic information"

Yes, getting them to eat BP can sometimes be a problem.  Some love it, some hate it and some just take a while to get used to it.  Safe alternatives to beet pulp are:

1)  Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes (you will see them referred to as ODTB's here).  They are guaranteed to be under 10% sugar + starch and the minerals are balanced according to Dr Kellon's specifications.  Any store that carries Triple Crown products should be able to get them for you if they don't have them in stock.  If you add warm water to them, they break down into a damp, soft mass of chopped hay--great for getting the supps to stick.

2)  Nuzu Stabul 1 (not the "plus").  They are guaranteed to be under 10% sugar+starch.  Any Tractor Supply store can order them if not in stock.  Here's their website:  http://www.nuzufeed.com/7550%20Stabul.html   Randy at Anderson feed is the contact if you have any trouble getting TSC to order it.  They will also send you a sample if you email them.  And they make low sugar starch horse treats as well.

3)  Soy hull pellets.  Those can be high in iron, though and may need more in the way of balancing.

4)  A handful of Triple Crown Lite.

To answer your questions.

1. When should I start walking him? I got him out of the stall today for one trip up the aisle way. He's walking with a slight limp on the right front. I didn't want to push it, so I put him back in his stall.

2. We x-rayed his right front a month ago and everything looked really good. My vet advised we hold off on more x-rays until next week after we get blood work back. My concern is that if he is rotated and I try walking him, am I going to cause more damage?

No, I you do not want to push him.  You don't want to damage the fragile new laminae as they grow in.  This is also where the trim becomes a critical part of the formula.  The toes and heels must be properly trimmed to avoid any extra stress on those fragile new laminae.  If you can get the hoof pics and xrays posted we can help you to evaluate if your trim is optimal.  Very often it's not, even in some folks who come here with the "the best farrier in the world."  More information on a proper trim can be found on our website here:  http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/ddt-overview/ddt-trim  and here:  http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/laminitis/realigning-trim   Your farrier/trimmer may be doing a fine job--we just can't see that unless you post the pics and xrays.  I think you will know once he is comfortable enough to start taking some nice slow long straight walks. Don't force him.  Let him move around as he will in his soft rides.  And once you do start walking him,  avoid tight turns which also puts stress the the new laminae.

3. Since I board, hay control is out of my hands. I did get hay analysis done a couple of times in 2011 and 2012, but not since then. The results were pretty similar. We use the same grower, he delivers hay every two weeks, and its fairly consistent in quality. I plan on getting an analysis done again now - I am taking my samples on Monday. If I post some of the older analysis along with the new one when I get it back, is there a way to mineral balance keeping in mind that there may be some slight variances in each load?

Many folks on the list board and some folks have found some innovative ways to store and test hay.  In this folder is a file called "Hay--finding and storing" that you may find helpful:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/files/8%20Pulling%20it%20Together/   It's the 9th file down.  And here:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/files/Hay%20Information/
The fact that your hay all comes from the same field is helpful as far as mineral balancing, tho you may not get the really tight mineral balancing that so many PPID and IR horses need .  It's the sugar and starch content that can be so variable.  So many factors influence the s/s--drought, fertilization, time of day it was cut, maturity.....you get the idea.  IF you can find a way to store enough hay for Bug and have it balanced, that's the best way.  One of our balancing folks can certainly work with you and the hay tests that you have.   Look at the first folder (Getting help with mineral balancing) in this file for a list of balancing folks:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/files/7%20Help%20with%20Mineral%20Balancing/   There are also some good products that can come close to balancing your hay, California Trace and Arizona Copper Complete.

4. When should I switch from the bute to J-Herb? Do his pulses need to be completely normal? Does he need to be walking normally?

More information on Jherb in this file:

Also, reread my first post to you.  I had a bit from Dr Kellon about when to start the Jherb.  I know how easy it is to miss stuff!  Lots of information in an overwhelming situation!  Hang in there!

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA