Re: poor fat digestion and shiny manure

beverly meyer

Hi Dr. Kellon,
I'm so interested in your reply that ALCAR has no impact on fat metabolism. Thank you for responding.
Could it be different for horses than other animals and humans?  Or maybe the acetylated form acts differently then L-Carnitine?
I've used Acetyl-L-Carnitine for decades with Insulin Resistant clients and athletes in large part for its effects on fat metabolism, transporting fats into the cell to be burned for fuel.  It utilizes Pantothenic Acid (B5) as part of Acetyl-CoA which is why earlier I mentioned B5 and fat metabolism.
I'm excited to see if it will help Ginger's stubborn IR and fat pads. I think it will! Thank you so much for introducing me to these supplements.  You've saved my pony's life. I dragged up a few snippets here from my ALCAR files on fat and insulin.  I don't have much on ALCAR as a neurotransmitter.
Beverly 6/14
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/echistory8/files/Beverly%20Texas/

Acetyl-l-Carnitine1 (ALC) is a special nutrient with a high level ability to positively influence brain health, stress tolerance, and metabolism – especially of fat. Unlike plain l-carnitine (an amino acid), acetyl-l-carnitine is fat soluble and highly active in nerves; it offers superior protection from stress and excitotoxic damage.

ALC is highly synergistic with the nutrient pantethine, which makes CoA. CoA latches on to fatty acids and turns them into something that has the potential to be

Carnitine plays a critical role in energy production. It transports long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria so they can be oxidized ("burned") to produce energy. It also transports the toxic compounds generated out of this cellular organelle to prevent their accumulation. Given these key functions, carnitine is concentrated in tissues like skeletal and cardiac muscle that utilize fatty acids as a dietary fuel [1-2].

Session 3: Carnitine, Fat Metabolism, and Obesity
Chair: Michael J. Quon, Chief, Diabetes Unit, Laboratory of Clinical Investigation, NCCAM, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland

Carnitine in Type 2 Diabetes
Geltrude Mingrone (PDF, 1.27 MB)
Istituto di Medicina Interna, Catholic University, Roma, Italy

Insulin resistance plays an important role in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. One question is whether mitochondrial dysfunction might be a factor in the development of type 2 diabetes, and whether insulin resistance is associated with a defect in muscle fatty acid oxidation. Research shows that insulin resistance in skeletal muscle cells from children of patients with type 2 diabetes is associated with altered fatty acid metabolism, possibly because of an inherited defect in mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. Preliminary data suggest that supplementation with L-carnitine can improve insulin sensitivity in individuals with type 2 diabetes, as evidenced in part by its ability to decrease intramyocellular lipid levels.

Fat metabolism and weight loss
Because of its vital role in fat metabolism, another obvious benefit of L-carnitine supplementation is in weight loss. Numerous animal and human studies have shown L-carnitine to promote muscle deposition instead of fat.