Re: The IR blues...

paulah@...

---In EquineCushings@..., <kerry.isherwood@...> wrote :

Crap.  I get one IR stabillized and the other falls apart.  I have no idea why, but now my 8yo gelding's insulin is 70uU/mL, the highest its ever been.  I just dont understand....

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Hi Kerry,
I know exactly how you feel... I focus on one, start to feel smug and the other one starts to slip...
Hang in there, you are doing great and you will get it under control.
Regardless of what's driving the high insulin, soaking hay for an hour in cold water would be the first thing I would do.  The ODBT cubes are under 10%, but may be too high for your boy, with whatever is going on at the moment.  You know his out of control symptoms, so you'll be able to tell when he starts feeling better, calmer and more like himself.
Great that you are venting your frustration on the grass.  If he can reach it at all and you've been getting the strange weather we have, it may be adding to his misery.  After you scalp it, you may find it helpful to treat it with the vinegar, salt and soap solution, known at my farm as  "Dawn vinaigrette" (1 gal vinegar, 1c salt and a squirt of dish soap).
Good luck and post what you figure out.  It really helps to learn from each other.
Best regards,

Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR) in Bucks County, PA, USA

EC 2014     NCRplus2011

ECHistory8