Re: Po rubbed a bloody raw spot on his rear

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Coral,

There is a document in the Files "Updated Deworming Guidelines" that you may find helpful.  In my experience a sheath in need of cleaning and/or Pinworms will cause tail rubbing.  Since Pinworms colonize on the rectum I have found wiping the rectum off with Vaseline/paper towel brings some relief until the dewormer kicks in.  I have found cleaning the sheath and checking for beans brings almost immediate relief.  I would not use a steroid shot.  Cleansing the raw area with a mild soap and applying a barrier such as Zim's Crack Cream should help with the healing.  I would avoid any topical that might cause more irritation to the skin...i.e Iodine or fly spray.   Other Members may have suggestions for other mild topical treatments that are effective.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance