I'm a licensed vet tech and let's just say, handle *lots* of blood, incl my own two IRs & one PPID. I send to Cornell at least 2x/month. I can offer a bit of insight:
....."Glucose was done at the vet's clinic and it came back as <10 mg/dL and their range is 60-125 mg/dL."....
>>> its likely the blood tube for the glucose test was not spun & separated in a correct timeframe for accurate results. A horse with a true BG (blood glucose) of <10mg/dL would be....dead(!) or very close to it. I've been conducting an informal study regarding glucose accuracy via veterinary glucometer at time of draw vs replicating BGs on same blood sample as a typical field veterinarian would be handling BGs sent to commercial labs (ie, blood is drawn into a serum separator tube, it sits in the vet's vehicle for at least drive back to clinic or for rest of day thru remaining appts, etc). I've found **every single sample** so far to be lower on the samples sent to commercial labs. One sample I did this week was on a friend's mini who we highly suspected of IR and her BG at draw on glucometer was 80mg/dL and on the exact same blood sample sent to lab that night was 40mg/dL (Antech lab, normals 60-125mg/dL). That's a huge disparity!! On this sample I purposely did not spin the blood right away to separate the cells from serum (again, replicating what would happen if a sample rides in a vet's car all day. I knew results would be lower, but never guessed they would be **that much** lower.) [note: glucometer used is a veterinary model calibrated for equine blood]
I can only comment on the glucose results being not accurate and can only speculate that the samples were mishandled somehow. Extrapolating from that, one has to wonder if the handling of the samples sent to Cornell were compromised, esp with a leptin below Cornell's normal of 1-4.
Kerry in NY