Re: Help interpreting iron panel

Kerry Isherwood

Cass,

Thanks so much for the info abt soaked hay.  Very interesting.  Unfortunately, the blood sample was drawn while Tofurky was eating unsoaked hay (25% of hay diet) and ODTBC (75% of hay diet).  The analysis on the long-stem hay yielded an iron level of 111ppm (50 mg/lb) as sampled;  122 ppm (56 mg/dL) dry matter.  Assuming there is minimal iron in OCTBC, then the only other sources of iron would have been:

Seroquine pellets (2 scoops)
Farrier's Formula (1/2 cup, adult maintenance, orig formula)
Pro-lyte electrolyte (1 scoop)
ALCAR (10g)
alfalfa pellets (Standlee) ~3lbs
water

I cannot think of any other ingested foodstuffs that he was receiving (no grass, no treats, etc).  Anyone know if other factors influence ferritin in blood levels (stress, weather, etc)?  I really have got to take the NRC course...

Thanks,
Kerry in NY
Sept 2014