Re: Freezing blood sample

Kerry Isherwood

Ideally the serum tube is kept chilled on ice packs in an insulated shipping box en route to Cornell. Having talked to the lab myself, it wont hurt the serum to be frozen--its getting too hot that is the real problem

The abnormally low glucose results are caused by the length of time the reb blood cells remain in contain with the serum component of the blood (the fluid part that the RBCs are suspended in). The RBCs literally digest the glucose for energy so therefore making your sample horse's glucose result lower than what it truly is. Thats why its imperative to centrifuge the tube asap. However, the RBCs have to form a clot before they can be spun down, and that can take anyway from 1min to sometimes 30 mins. IMO the only glucose that is accurate is one done by veterinary glucometer at time of draw. I no longer rely on glucose results from the tubes sent out to labs for G:I ratios, etc. The disparity in results is unequivocal in the experiments ive done so far (checking glucometer results vs lab results on same blood sample). Please note thats my personally experience only, and not necessarily the group's opinion. The reason Ive been experimenting w glucometer results is my PPID mare is routinely hyperglycemic on glucometer but often "normoglycemic" on same sample commercial lab results, and with her initial borderline ACTH result the hyperglycemia was what finally got my local vet on board w the PPID diagnosis. Personally im concerned we--as veterinary professionals--are not catching hyperglycemia bc of the limitations of our current field glucose testing and therefore the primary vets may be less likely to consider early PPUD without the hyperglycemia as a nod toward PPID. FWIW, the theory saved my mare's life and thats why im pursuing it

Kerry in NY
Lic Vet Tech
Sept 14