Re: Help With Horse Not Eating Anything Appropriate

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry to hear that Dutch is giving you feed challenges.

I am giving you a link to the IR calculator for you to plug in his numbers.  As you suspect it shows he is Severely IR.  IR Calculator

I think you have done nice job of updating your CH so it is easy to access Dutch's info.

Is the hay he is currently eating analyzed?  You mention feeders are they for the hay or for the hard feed?  I know that you did a very nice job of balancing your diet when I helped you so I know you are aware of which feeds are appropriate for Dutch and how to balance his diet according to activity level, etc.

How long has he been back on the 1 mg of Prascend?  Did your vet suggest testing him again at 3 or 4 weeks?

Where was his blood sent for his ACTH test?  What was the lab range?

If I am understanding correctly, Dutch will not eat his supplements in any carrier now regardless of whether or not he is on Prascend, but will eat his or hay, small treats, senior or light feed,  is that correct?

I am sure one of the moderators will weigh in with more questions and suggestions.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12