Re: Pet Health Pharmacy Update

Leigh Jacobs

Hi Lorna,
Only Pergolide mesylate is available to produce pergolide either in the Prascend formulation or compounded products.  It takes 1.31mg of PM (consider it contaminated with salt) to produce 1.0mg of pergolide. BI simply states that their Prascend is 1.0 mg pergolide.  What you have to look for is that they used 1.31mg to produce that 1.0 mg Prascend.  So when reps are telling you that Prascend is getting better results than 1.0mg PM compounded caps, it is true.  And the reason is that they used to 1.31mg PM to produce their 1.0mg Prascend and the compounders, based on what they are told, will produce a 1.0mg PM cap which contains ~ 1/3 less pergolide. If you want a compound pharmacy to produce an equivalent to 1.0 mg Prascend, you need to make it clear that you want 1.0mg pergolide or 1.31mg pergolide mesylate.
I don't know if I made this better or worse for you......
Leigh, Ace and Shadow
2011 AZ

On Monday, August 31, 2015 9:45 AM, "windybriars@... [EquineCushings]" wrote:

I need someone to 'splain this to me.Makes no sense.

The active ingredient in Prascend is pergolide mesylate.

To my mind,the compounded product needs to contain 1mg of pergolide mesylate in order to be equivalent to the 1mg of pergolide mesylate in Prascend.
Are you saying they use 1.3mg of pergolide mesylate in a compounded capsule,to fill a script for 1mg?
I must be losing my mind.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*