Re: New member

takarri@...

 Hi Maria and welcome to the group!  You've been doing some reading, so that's great!!  There's a TON of information available here and it can get a little overwhelming at first, but you are learning a lot about how to best manage your PPID, possibly IR horses!  Besides reading the messages, if you haven't already done so, you should also check out our website, another great source of information! ( http://ecirhorse.org/ )  You may have already read that we follow a philosophy called DDT+E, which stands for Diagnosis, Diet, Trim and Exercise.  Best way for us to help you is to fill out a case history with all the relevant information https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/echistory8/info

If you have any pressing questions before you have a chance to fill out the case history please ask. It sounds like you have a good idea of what’s going on, but I’m going to discuss the lowdown anyway.  No laminitic history and occasional footiness sound like possibly sub clinical laminitis, especially with the fat  pad issues. Possibly the way you have been keeping her as IR for the last 10 yrs has caught up with her, plus she now has PPID- this is where a case history/timeline comes in handy.  Did your second round of blood testing include an ACTH? What blood test was performed previously and what were the results.

Nice to see that you have a trimmer that notices changes, just wondering if the box rest is contributing to the issue- as in not having movement to help reduce IR symptoms. Though if she is experiencing acute laminitis- then I agree with confinement. Sound like the 2010 radiographs may have been sub clinical laminitis which may not necessarily show up at the time

We use a system nicknamed DDT/E, which is shorthand for Diagnosis, Diet, Trim and Exercise. These are the four cornerstones of successfully managing your pony and any problems it may have.

DIAGNOSIS: Is done with blood work. We recommend having blood drawn to test for Insulin, Glucose, Leptin and ACTH and having the samples sent to Cornell as this is the lab we have found to have the most consistent results. ACTH is used to diagnose PPID (Cushings) while insulin, glucose and leptin are used to diagnose Insulin Resistance (IR). The samples should be drawn at home and NON-fasting as fasting will produce artificially low results and are a holdover from human testing protocols. A pony can be only IR, only PPID, neither or both. PPID is managed using meds while IR is managed thru diet.

DIET: Low sugar/starch/fat, forage based with minerals supplemented based on your forage analysis. Until you can have your hay tested, we recommend using the emergency diet you were sent when you joined. This is a safe, temporary way to feed that won't do any harm but will definitely help an IR/PPID equine. As important as what to feed is what NOT to feed. No grain, pasture, red/brown salt blocks, apples, carrots, sugary treats, alfalfa. Soaking untested hay for 30 minutes in hot water or 60 min in cold water then dumping the water where the pony can't get it will help remove up to 30% of the sugars and make it safer to feed. Should plan to feed 2% of ideal bodyweight in soaked hay per day, divided into 3-4 feedings. Small mesh hay nets are a great way to make the hay rations last longer. You can use a small amount of rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp as a carrier for the emergency diet (ED) items of salt, vit E gelcaps with oil in them, ground flax and magnesium. All of these ED items are available at Walmart or your local pharmacy/grocery store.

TRIM: Toes backed and heels low so that the hoof capsule tightly hugs and supports the internal structures. This is one of the most common "missing links" when soundness is an issue. We encourage you to post pictures of your pony in the PHOTOS section of ECHistory8 so that we can help make sure the trim is optimal. If there are any lameness issues, we recommend boots and pads for comfort.

EXERCISE: Best IR buster there is but never forces a sore equine to move. Need to be especially careful if there  are any NSAID's being used as this will mask pain and encourage the equine to do too much too soon on compromised feet.

We ask that you sign your posts with your name, general location and year of joining. This helps us to give you ideas where to source items locally. Once you have your case history done we ask that you add the link to that to your signature as well so the volunteers can find your info easily.

Please ask any questions as they come up, we're here to help.

Here's a link to the general approach this group recommends.  Here

Laminitis

image

Laminitis

The ecirhorse.org website is complimentary to the Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance outreach group. Equine Cushing's Disease, also known ...

View on ecirhorse.org

Preview by Yahoo

and here

Realigning Trim

image

Realigning Trim

The ecirhorse.org website is complimentary to the Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance outreach group. Equine Cushing's Disease, also known ...

View on ecirhorse.org

Preview by Yahoo

Rads and photos would be in order.  Here's a recent message on what to do to get help

Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

I’m not sure where your location is so can’t comment on the weather and management. It’s true that some metabolic horses have trouble thermo-regulating.. ie controlling body temperature. I’m in Australia in a cooler climate & I rug/blanket my horse.  I’ll leave it to those that are closer to your environment to comment on weather extremities. I do know that you don’t want to achieve weight loss via clipping- or blankets off if you experience extreme weather- that’s just not fair on the horse IMO.

I know that I may not have answered all your questions; I’ll leave all the feet/leg issues to those more experienced. If I’ve missed something – please repost those questions. We are here to help you.

Pauline & Spur

Sth West Vic

Australia Aug 07

EC Primary Response

http://tinyurl.com/7qbdyas

---In EquineCushings@..., <millersford_tansy_too@...> wrote :

My name is Maria. I have a PPID/IR New Forest Pony called Millersford Tansy Too. Diagnosed on 11th August. No laminitic history, just occasional footiness and an unwillingness to shift fat.