Re: Intro of new member

Maggie

Hi Teah,

We do know that the information can be a little overwhelming!  Just take it all in one bite at a time.  You've made some good progress with Kellie already, so good for you!  And I promise, it does get easier!  Do take the time to get her CH up!  A carefully done CH fills in all the gaps for us when we are answering your questions.

Yes, some minis are very prone to being IR and laminitis/foundering.  It would be a excellent proactive step to treat your mini as though s/he is IR.  It's great that Kellie will have a friend in her dry lot!  Unless you test her, and know for sure that she is not IR, I would assume that she is IR and not be allowing Kellie to graze, even with a muzzle.  Always better safe than sorry.

There are very few bagged feeds that are appropriate for IR horses.  Even the ones that claim to be low sugar/starch are usually too high in sugar and/or starch (over 10% combined), too high in fat, too high in iron, too high in omega 6's and too low in omega 3's.....you get the idea.  The ODTB's are safe.  Nuzu Stabul 1, available at Tractor Supply stores is safe.  Rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp is safe.  There are a few others, given in small amounts as a carrier for supplements or as a taste tempter that are safe, but very few.  Start reading the guaranteed analysis and the list of ingredients on feed labels and you will soon be able to evaluate the safety for yourself!  Over the years, we've had a lot of different feeds sent in for analysis.  Look in this file for a list:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/files/Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/

Let me give you a quick demo on how to examine a feed.  I think maybe you are referring to Blue Seal's Carb-Guard as the other feed for metabolic horses?  Scroll down in that list above to find the analysis on it.  It has 8% minimum fat.  We recommend 4% fat (or less) because that's about the same fat content of grass.  So for one, it's too high in fat.  We know that high fat feeding can actually induce IR, so best to stick with the 4% or under!  At least part of the fat content is vegetable oil--upside down Omega 3:6 ratio.  It also contains added Riboflavin and Niacin which we want to avoid in IR horses (check the list I sent you earlier for "things to avoid").  It doesn't list the iron content in the guaranteed analysis part, but it does list Ferrous Sulfate as an ingredient.  That's iron, which we want to avoid since IR horses tend to also be iron overloaded.  They get plenty in their diet (dirt) so we want to avoid any added iron in their food!  More information about iron overload here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/files/Iron%2C%20Iron%20Testing%2C%20Iron%20Overload/

Long story, short, your $ is best spent on analyzing your hay and mineral balancing your diet.  When you are ready to do that, here is a list of people that can help you with mineral balancing (first file in this folder): https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/files/7%20Help%20with%20Mineral%20Balancing/  Here's one place that you can send a hay sample for analysis:  http://equi-analytical.com/  Call them and ask them for some "Forage kits"  They are free, and include postage for sending your hay sample in.  You want the #603, trainer's package when you send your hay sample in.

The red/brown salt blocks contain iron, and sometimes molasses (which you already know we want to avoid!) and they also contain unknown mineral amounts, which would interfere with mineral balancing Kellie's diet.

OK, I am giving you more information and I know you feel overwhelmed already!  Sorry!  Just take your time and read all the information I've given you.  Read the files and the website too.  Hang in there!  It will get easier!  Oh, and I looked at the photo you posted.  It's pretty tiny, so hard to tell much.  And one more thing--please take a minute to delete all or most of the previous message when you are responding.  It keeps the repeat information from piling up in the archived messages and makes the messages easier to search and read.  Thanks!

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA
March 2011
EC moderator/Primary Response
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ECHistory4/files/maggie%20in%20virginia/