Re: WAS: I don't know what else to do NOW: Soaking hay

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Nancy,

Thank you,

I realized that one couldn't soak out starch and that is what I advise the owners I help.  My original question was could the 12 hr soaking cause the hay to reabsorb the sugar, but based on your analysis it appears it might cause the starch to increase?  ESC (sugar), Ca, P Mg and K all decreased.  I may have missed it but what happened to iron?

What would you advise an owner (Coral) who had a difficult time sourcing hay and finally found a hay with ESC 5.9% and Starch 2.9%?  My concern was that there might be too much starch in this hay for an IR horse (Po) and that it might need soaking based on symptoms when feeding it.  If she is soaking it for 12 hours, might she not be increasing starch while decreasing sugar based on your results?  I assume you would recommend she send a sample/s for analysis.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12