Re:

Mary Gleason <mary.gleason66@...>

Thank you for your reply. I filled out the form, but sadly I have no
idea how to make a folder and/or upload it to the files section. The
page I saw about this didn't really tell how to do it. I'm sorry. We
are not really having any unexplained problems right now, so I will
just continue to read the emails that others send and learn from
those!

Again,thank you.

Mary in Owego NY.

On 1/29/16, shilohmom@... [EquineCushings]
<EquineCushings@...> wrote:
Hi Mary,

Welcome to the list. From your description, it sounds like this is the
"pergolide veil", a temporary loss of appetite and general blah feeling that
some horses experience when they first start the drug. Tapering up to the
prescribed dose (as you are doing) helps but may not be enough for every
horse. Adding the adaptogenic herbal APF, manufactured by Auburn Labs, has
been found to help enormously to get over this transient bump:

http://www.auburnlabs.com/html/whereToBuy.html
http://www.auburnlabs.com/html/whereToBuy.html

It is available directly from the manufacturer as well as from many tack
shops and online sources. Cost is variable so it pays to google around for
the best current price. Most horses are fine once they have adjusted to the
med.

The list protocol, and it works extremely well, is: Diagnosis, Diet, Trim
and Exercise, DDT/E for short.

DIAGNOSIS: Is thru lab work. A horse can be either PPID or IR or neither or
both. From the results you have posted (thanks for adding those), Rebel is
both PPID and IR. PPID is controlled with meds (pergolide=Prascend) while IR
is managed thru diet. A horse with both issues needs to use both in order to
have the best results.

DIET: Diet is supremely important, in some ways more for what is not fed:
no pasture, sweet feeds, oats/grain, carrots, apples, iron-containing
supplements. Diet consists of grass hay or haylage, with ESC (soluble
sugars) and starch of less than 10%, plus minerals balanced to the forage,
plus vitamin E, salt, and flaxseed or flaxseed oil. One can use a carrier
of beet pulp (rinsed, soaked, and rinsed) as a safe feed to get the
supplements in. The Temporary Emergency Diet uses hay soaked for 1 hour in
cold water, or 30 minutes in hot water, with the water drained where the
horses can't get at it; plus vitamin E, salt, and ground flaxseed in a safe
carrier such as beet pulp (rinsed, soaked, rinsed). More info on Temporary
Emergency Diet here:

TRIM: This is a trim physiologically balanced to the internal shape of the
coffin bone, with short toe and low heels. Trim is often a neglected or
misunderstood piece of the puzzle. We encourage you to add current photos(
and any xrays) of Rebel's trim in the PHOTOS section ECHistory8 so we can
help evaluate whether the trim is optimal or not.

EXERCISE: This is the best EMS buster there is, but only if the pony/horse
is comfortable and non-laminitic. A horse that has suffered laminitis needs
a good 6 to 9 months of correct hoof re-growth before any kind of serious
exercise can begin.

There is also a ton of good information on our educational website:
www.ecirhorse.org http://www.ecirhorse.org

To be double sure we are answering your questions correctly, we need a
little more information. Please take a few minutes and join EC History 8 (I
will send you an invitation):

Follow the instructions to download a case history template; then fill it
out, save it to your computer, and upload it into the EC History 8 files
section (make a folder, first, with your name on it)

Keep reading, and ask any and all questions. We ask that you sign your posts
with your name, year of joining and general location as this helps us with
sourcing recommendations for you. Also ask that you add the link to Rebel's
case history to your signature once that is up to make it efficient to find
all the relevant details.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team