Re: Fury - recent labwork, and positive for Cushing's

janieclougher@...

Hi, Stephanie -  Most definitely Fury should start on pergolide, as your vet and Dr. Kellon have stated.  Since this is your first foray into PPID, here are a few tips:  start out at 0.25 mg daily; increase by 0.25 mg every 4 days until you are at the target dose (which is usually 1 mg to start with).  This helps prevent the "Pergolide Veil", a transient condition of lethargy, reduced appetite and spaciness.  Using APF  from Auburn Labs has also been shown to reduce the incidence of the Pergolide Veil.

Use either pergolide in capsules, or the brand-name pergolide = Prascend, for best stability and shelf-life.

Check out the file "Pergolide 101" in this folder, down near the bottom:

Hope that helps!

---In EquineCushings@..., <stephsharpless@...> wrote :

Hi again, I wanted to add the website for Fury's file to my message above, but I don't know how to edit my message. The only options that I see are reply or delete. Anyway, here is the website of his file:

Stephanie & Fury, Colorado, 2009