Re: cardiac side effects from long term high dose Prascend?

janieclougher@...

Rebecca, I am so sorry for your loss.  I know Cindi will be hugely missed - they fill up so much of our hearts.

From the various papers I have looked at regarding pergolide and human valve dysfunction, it seems to be very much dose-related. Our horses, even those on somewhat high doses, are not getting anywhere the amount of mg per kg body weight that some of the humans that ended up with heart trouble were getting.  One paper showed zero effects on heart valves of people getting a moderate dose of pergolide,  compared to a control group, and suggested that pergolide would still be a safe drug if used at lower doses.  Unfortunately, Parkinson's disease in some of the people did not respond to the lower doses of pergolide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/17353380

Average dose in humans = 3mg/day, divided tid; up to 30 mg/day

= 0.043 mg/kg to 0.43 mg/kg

Horse dose at 1 mg to 36 mg = 0.00220 mg/kg to 0.08 mg/kg  (human dose is therefore 19.5 X)

Merlin's dose at 19 mg/400 kg = 0.048 mg/kg

Like you, I would much rather my horse had a shortened life due to heart disease, than suffer the agonies of uncontrolled PPID.  As with so many things, it is a balancing act.  However, given the above information (which has not been studied in horses, not even a little bit!), I am quite relaxed about the prospect of any of my PPID herd succumbing to pergolide-induced valve dysfunction.

Again, so sorry to hear about Cindi. Fly free, dear Cindi - green fields and blue skies forever.

---In EquineCushings@..., <twitterpatedbabykoala@...> wrote :

About a month ago, I put Cindi to sleep.  She was 3 weeks shy of 28.  She had been on pergolide (first compounded, then Prascend) since 2006.  She had been on 3mg/day for the last couple of years.  She never foundered.  She did develop a heart murmur in the last year or so.....