Re: veterinary consult

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Amy,

I think your plan to look for a new veterinarian in your area is a good idea.  When you contact them and before you have them out and are charged a farm call ask him/her how she treats PPID horses in her practice?  Will he prescribe a compounded pergolide?  What if your horse is not controlled based on blood work results from Cornell on her current dose?  Will he/she up the dose based on test results or does he treat based on "appearance"?   I am sure other members can add to this list. :-)

FWIW, your vet's comments that she consulted with her colleagues at Cornell rings as kind of vague to me.  Who is/are the colleague/s?  My response any time I have asked a question regarding PPID treatment, etc, is that Cornell runs the tests and does not recommend treatments.  I called just now and the staff veterinarian is on vacation until Monday.  Her name is Dr. Barbara Schanbacher.  I asked the woman who answered the phone if it's their policy is to not recommend compounding pharmacies for PPID treatment and she said that is not within their realm so no they wouldn't say you can't use a compounding pharmacy nor do they recommend Prascend over a compounding pharmacy.  Nor do they make dosage recommendations. Anyway, I will make a call on Monday and run these same questions past her to confirm that what I was told is correct.  This woman also offered to transfer me to the Serology Department to ask about their recommendations on treating Lyme's and if they in fact said no to Kat's treatment based on her latest results.  I was routed to voice mail and didn't leave a call back number.  I suggest you call the Serology Dept.  I always identify myself as horse owner so there is no confusion on who is calling.  The switchboard number for Diagnostic Health is 607-253-3900.  Explain what information on Lyme's that you are looking for and ask them to direct you to the appropriate person/department.

I am sure other members will have suggestions for you.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12