Re: banamine for laminitic pain - NOW what is possible

Terri Quinn

LJ,

I know every horse is different and so are its medical problems.  At the risk of adding too much information to the mix, I just wanted to let you know that I lived through more than a year of severe foot pain with my mini-mule.  He is 24, cushings and has a flexural foot deformity probably from birth -- extreme club feet in both fronts.  In the spring/summer of 2015, he was down more than up.  Some days were bad and some were very bad.  We rarely had an ok day.  But he was eating and drinking and trying his best to hang with his herd of 4 full size horses.  I thought he had an abscess but as time went on, I really wasn't sure.  His hoof capsule did something that looked like it exploded with a major crack down the front, even to the point that he had live tissue in the coronary band that was impacted.  I felt that he had an abscess, maybe more than one, or at least one that kept going and going.  My practitioner people occasionally talked to me about euthanasia and I kept it in the back of my mind.  Every day.  I felt that I would go there if he seemed to give up.  But despite him in pretty much constant pain and looking very depressed and uncomfortable, I never felt him give up.  Finally this year, maybe three trims ago, my farrier uncovered a massive abscess hole that had grown down to his sole.  Two days after that trim, he was back to his usual sassy self and as perky as he was the day I brought him to my farm 9 years ago.  Looking back I can't believe he was in that much discomfort for so long and now is as good as he has ever been.  I rarely gave him banamine throughout that time, which took real discipline on my part because I wanted to relieve his pain, no kidding, every single day.  Anyway, my message is that our guys can go through a bad period, and in my case, for a really long time, but ultimately be ok with the right trim, an environment that supports their lack of desire to move around a lot, an educated support team and the time to heal.  I'm lucky enough to have my own place which allows me the easy choice of filtering feedback from others - there's no one to constantly pressure me in a certain direction.  I can tell you love your horses, be strong and have faith in Jesse.  I really believe they will tell you when they're ready.  And it's astonishing how well they deal with their physical issues.

Join {main@ECIR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.