Re: Splash Lab results

Paula Hancock

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 06:00 am, k frog wrote:
I am planning to send a new hay sample in for testing, both dry and soaked. I inquired at EA about preparing the soaked hay for them and they suggested soaking it as I do, then drying it 'for awhile' before packing it up to send to them. Do you know what 'awhile' might mean? I have a food dehydrator I could use, or do they just mean 'not dripping wet'?

 Hi Karen,

Your best bet is to spread the hay out and let the it air dry until it seems as dry as your unsoaked hay.  Humidity and air temperature will affect the amount of time.  You don't need a big sample, just a good handful.  Don't ship it wet as it might start to ferment if stored in a warm place, which could actually lower the sugar level before you get it tested. (Those little microbes use sugar in the fermentation process...)  I wouldn't add heat but you could use a fan to move the air around it to speed the drying. I let mine sit for a couple days.

It sounds like your soaking process is fine and you made good use of the old grate!  When I need to soak hay, I soak all the hay I need for the day, about 7 or 8 lbs in  each of three 15 gallon tubs, dump all of them, let them drain until I need them.  I like to soak one meal ahead if I can, so I don't have to make Cory wait.

--
Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR/PPID)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response