Re: Frequent abscessing and new coughing issue...

kellyj k

Thank you for your replies.  I will get some pix today and attempt to add them to a new album.  He was just trimmed yesterday and my farrier brought a second (barefoot) trimmer with him for a second opinion.  She suggested continuing with the weekly rasping tweaks and something about slippering his heels a little more to my farrier.  Our EasyBoot Trails size 1 no longer seem to fit his foot and they thought maybe some epics would work better for when he gets ouchy.  I normally do not ride with boots because we have a soft grass arena, but I have used them during abscess episodes and whenever he seems tender.

I try to avoid any NSAIDS when he is abscessing and only have resorted to them when he is in great distress.  The last abscess (left front) had him laying down for 2 days and I gave him 1g bute per day for 2 days just to get him moving around a little, then I stopped it.  I do animalintex poultices along with ichthammol wraps, sometimes an epsom salt soak.  Every time the vet or farrier has gone hunting for an active abscess, they have never found it - so I have concluded it may be best not to "look".  He virtually never reacts to hoof testers even when quite lame, which makes things more difficult as well.

The hay is thankfully NOT stored overhead.  To be honest, I am not sure I can deal with yet another health issue with this horse.  He has a wonderful temperament and I have put almost 5 years of work into him, but I am getting pretty stressed about the situation.  My budget is tight, which does not help.

I'll get the new pix this afternoon.  Thanks for your help!

Kelly and Buddy
2014 Illinois

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Lavinia Fiscaletti <shilohmom@...> wrote:

Hi Kelly,

Regarding the abscessing, it would be really helpful to see current pictures of his feet. No, he shouldn't keep abscessing forever - that it has been occurring this frequently and regularly is a sign that something isn't quite right.

Could you please make a photo album for him here on the new Groups.io Case History sub-group Photos section:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory

If you haven't joined since we switched over, you'll need to do that first.

All the instructions you need can be found in the Wiki here on the main group:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki

J-herb will help with mobilizing abscesses because it helps increase circulation. Are you using any NSAIDs when he abscesse? If so, that will slow down the process. Soaking and poulticing tend to help, as will light movement, so no need to confine him when these nasty things are brewing.

If the hay is being stored overhead it is a huge negative for respiratory issues as it creates constant dust hanging in the air. Know that you may not be able to do anything about that, just pointing out the connection. Need others with more experience with lung isuues to jump in here with suggestions.
--
Lavinia, Dante and George Too

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team