minerals

Sue Haven Tester

Hello, I am 2 1/2  weeks in to doing the emergency diet and merging into a consistent  diet, I think we are in decent shape keeping things right around 10 % after hay testing, now soaking it,  adding Carb Free grain, & the Timothy cubes and beet pulp. And the basic minerals listed along with chaste berry,  & vitamin E . My 10 yr old Morgan, Finn, as I mentioned 2 weeks ago, when I first joined, is due for his 2nd set of x rays & trim this Wed. He is diagnosed with EMS, he has lost some weight, he is off bute, he is very sore.  But I think holding pretty steady... He goes out every day for awhile.  I was wondering about anyone's opinion on the The Rush Creek free choice minerals to use?? I see they have iron, and I believe I read iron is not to be used in IR horses.  He licks the iron bar in his stall a lot, does that mean anything? I have read that his EMS could have been brought on by possible deficiencies in his mineral intake...wondered about the free choice, seems appealing. Also, what about CoQ10 I read that is very good for Metabolic horses as an antioxidant and for cell repair. Thoughts on that? I will be adding MSM, as well. It is a little scary to be off bute but at the same time, too scary to stay on it. My vet is not happy that I have taken him off it...

Thanks for all your help. I have been reading all the materials, and have had help from a local member. I have not as yet downloaded ALL my info...

Sue