Re: Poll on Free Choice Feeding #poll

Casey76

Only once have I tried completely free choice feeding.  Blitz was 2 at the time and I had him turned out in a small herd in a 4 acre field with a large bale hay feeder.

In 3 months (September to November) he gained 50kg (which then took me 9 months to get off him with regulated hay access) which took him to a bcs of about 7.

He also got the most horrific mud fever, as he was preferring to stand hock deep in clay mud at the hay feeder, than grazing on dryer parts of the field.

Someone told me it wasn't the hay, but the grass, which made him fat!

(Blitz is a "normal" not PPID or IR - he just doesn't have an "off" switch)
--
Katrina

Mar 2017, Alsace, France

Tartine Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Katrina%20and%20Tartine