Re: Selenium 2nd request

Kim Leitch

I sent the below post last week, but haven't had a reply. I am very concerned about Gtits' hair loss. What is the role of selenium in the IR horse, and why is 2 mg a magic number? If her hair is falling out, shouldn't I lower the level? I'm getting ready to order a different mineral blend for the new hay, and I want to make sure I'm not causing problems. I have three horses on the same hay, 15 lbs., 18 lbs., and 25 lbs. If the 25 lbs. is balanced with 2 mg Se, the other two horses will be getting less, but I think Grits is getting too much. I hope this makes sense.

I don't put a lot of stock in the accuracy of blood tests for Se after my issues with another horse. He was suffering Se toxicity, yet his blood work kept showing him as low Se.

My concern is that Grits has significant hair loss on the balanced minerals with 2 mg of Se yeast plus the Sodium selenite in the ODTB. Her hay could be somewhat alkaline as the grower uses lime on his fields.
Am I in any way jeopardizing her IR by lowering the amount of Se in her minerals?
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually