Re: Cold weather feeding- help please

Cheryl V.

I would also like to know the answer to this... although until you mentioned it I never really worried about it since that kind of cold requires a lot more energy just to keep warm.  I'd say if she's leaving hay behind then she's not overstuffing herself.  My girls are on increased hay right now as well, although our temps aren't nearly as cold as yours it's still necessary to feed them more hay since the digestion of fiber creates heat.  I too watch their body temperature and feel their feet and legs as well as watch for any sign of weight gain on my IR horse.

It can be difficult when you have a hard keeper in the same area as the easy keeper.

--

Cheryl and Sahara
Lenhartsville, PA, USA