Isoxuprine

glorye@...

Does anyone on the list with a laminitic/foundered Cushing's horse use
Isoxuprine in their management? I'd be interested to hear about it.

My 20-year-old Morgan gelding was diagnosed with Cushing's when he had one
bout of laminitis in January '99. He was immediately started on Isoxuprine at
that time (in conjunction with Cypro, Thyro-L and Bute).

As I understand it, Isoxuprine is a vasodilator, which helps blood flow
return from the hoof up into the leg. Therefore, it's helpful treating
laminitis.

"Bug" was slowly weaned off Isoxuprine in the months following his laminitic
bout, but I keep a bottle on hand and monitor his pedal pulses very
carefully. If he seems to be having a bad day or week, he gets a low dosage
for a couple of days. My vet approves of this, and even encourages me to
place him on a low dosage when he's being slowly introduced to grass in the
spring.

Paula Brown
Poland, ME