Taking Control of the Trim -- You can do this. #understandingtrim

Nancy C

Many of our members read the forum every day to learn more to support the health of their horses. If that’s you, then you may have noticed two things:

(1) All our volunteers are dedicating most of their free time to help you.

and

(2) Trim is a huge component that needs to be dealt with to be successful in rehab.

You may have also noticed that Lavinia has been working well beyond overtime helping folks understand what is needed for their ongoing hoof care.

Because she needs a break, we’re asking Lavinia to hold off on doing any more mark-ups, starting today, until into the new year. During this time she will be putting together a trim program to make sure new folks are guided and all of us continue to learn what we must to help our own horses.

Here’s what you can do in the meanwhile:
• Keep breathing.
• Take digital photos of your horse’s feet as ECIR recommends.

• Load them on your computer or phone, or print them out to study.
• Use the following resources to help train your eye:
All the archived trim evaluations and mark-ups.  There are many to be learned from.

• Proceedings from the 2013, 2015 and 2017 (soon to be released)  NO Laminitis! Conference on ecirhorse.org
• If you don’t know about Druid, you may find this case history to be helpful, uplifting even:  http://www.ironfreehoof.com/severe-laminitis-case-study.html
• Mark where you think the trim needs to go.
• Review with your hoof pro, or have at it if you are trimming yourself.
• Observe and make notes on how your horse responds.
• Post specific questions on what you have seen to the group.

Remember one way or another, the work has to be done over time to bring the horse back to a physiologically correct foot. This takes not only growing good laminae connection but also rebuilding the hind end (caudal) of the foot.

Taking a little foot more often - even every two or three days — allows your horse to adjust more slowly and gives you more opportunity to train your eye. At a minimum, a rotated or distal descent foot needs to be trimmed every two to three weeks.

Thanks for your help and for giving Lavinia a break.

You can do this.

--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003