Alfalfa for IR/Cushing mare

Helen Temps

my mare needs to put weight on.  Last week what with ovarian cyst, new yearling arrival, and being in heat, she was a mess and wouldn’t eat much.  She was looking good, but lost 35# in that cycle along with top line loss.  It was such a radical change.  I have doubled her pellets, she has been getting pretty much unlimited grass hay (tested) for the last 6 months and I am going to try adding a little alfalfa.  How long will it take to see if she has a problem with alfalfa in her diet?  She hasn’t had any for about 11 years.  I am desperate to put weight on her and am riding her regularly about 20 miles a week on trails.  Her last ACTH in the fall was great. Do you think I should have her tested again with the loss of top line?  No other symptoms and normally she gets cranky when ACTH is to high.
--

Helen Temps and Chloe  June 2017
Placerville, CA