Re: Mare with severe founder and blood test shows Cuchings

Deb Walker

Beth - I just want to chime in here, as I too found acquainting myself with all of the knowledge and information available here difficult. The case history took me days to do, as did learning the proper etiquette for posting pics, etc. It's a lot to take in when you are worried sick about your horse. But, your vet's suggestion to put down such a young horse without first trying the things that work appalls me. But I will 100% agree with the vet that it is a huge undertaking, it is going to probably be expensive (more so than you can imagine) and a lot of frustration and crying yourself to sleep at night. In the end, only you can decide if your relationship with your horse is worth it.

When Scotty had only 1 ml RF sole and 7 ml LF sole and could barely hobble, 35+ years old, he still had that sparkle in his eye and he still was eating well, expressing affection, etc. I was beyond shocked to discover the severity of his situation, and the friend who trailered us the 60+ miles to a University Vet Hospital advised me to put him down...he is old, we were going into winter, and there were no guarantees anything would save him. After a full team of vets and farriers consulted, it was decided to leave him overnight and do a venogram the next day; this is probably what your vet was suggesting. This determines if there is blood flow. If there is not sufficient blood flow, your horse cannot grow a hoof. If there is, they can grow hoof. Because of the farrier schedule at the hospital, he had temporary devices put on his front feet as he had to stay Friday-Sunday until the farriers returned on Monday if the venogram was successful.

Long story short, he had sufficient blood flow, the farriers put on a product called Ultimates which is wrapped extensively with an almost cast like material to stay on the foot. http://www.nanric.com/catalog/all-products/nanric-ultimate-pair (Scotty's were black, but this is what I am talking about.) It wasn't easy, he wasn't sound, he laid down a LOT, BUT in 8 weeks he grew 17 ml of sole!!

Life since then has not been the same. It's hard. Some days you wonder if you are crazy. You don't add up the money you are spending because it would be devastating. Scotty went back to the same hospital last year for a check ligament surgery, and has also gone back a few more times for different trimming options. But he is alive, he's well, and I've finally hit the jackpot with a farrier who I believe can rehab him the rest of the way, and for whatever days this 35++ year old horse has left, I will do my best to keep him happy and healthy. All this to say, you could easily have another 20 years with your horse.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Deb%20and%20Scotty
Photos:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90619

Join main@ECIR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.