Re: Carrots ok to feed?

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There's no question there have been reports of horses getting into trouble when being fed carrots. How much it takes to do that I can't tell you. More than a bite.

Let's take a look at why that might be. Carrots as fed are around 5% sugar, 2% starch (although some strains are much higher) but average 90% water so on a dry matter basis they are 50% sugar and 20% starch. By comparison, hay on a dry matter basis is 7% sugar and 1.6% starch (average for generic "grass" hay at Dairy One). If diluting the sugar and starch by water is all it takes to make something safe to eat, grass at all growth stages would be safe. We all know how that works out.