Vitex with and without Pergolide

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I just posted a paper I found that followed three small groups of PPID horses/ponies treated with a Vitex agnus-castus (Chastetree berry)  containing supplement alone, pergolide alone or a combination of the two for 6 months per animal, all between January and August.

This is far from a carefully controlled study and laminitis/insulin results complicated by pasture exposure but it basically reinforces what we have said about CTB giving  good control of signs like abnormal coat but not of ACTH levels.  There were no apparent negative effects of combining the two.  Interestingly enough, the combination of the two gave much lower ACTH levels on the 6 month exam - but we have no way to know if more or all of those horses had their last exams in June rather than August.