Re: Dr. K please? Was updated Oden's Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hi Cindy,

Agree with Lorna's suggestion on how to get the blood work done. Would also offer to pay the small animal vet's office to handle shipping to get it to Cornell frozen or at least still cold.  ACTH is much more sensitive to handling than insulin.  The insulin rise isn't necessarily PPID-related though. We're heading into winter.

Your horse's breed evolved attuned to surviving in cold weather with little food. Once calories stop going to growth they are highly attuned to packing on fat unless being worked - really worked! Your latest feeding changes look good but I wouldn't try to go much lower.  You would have to get to near starvation levels to force weight off him this time of year. The best thing you could do for him is look into breaking him to drive. It's ideal exercise because most of the work is on the hind end but pulling weight is serious work.

You could consider metformin or canagliflozin, especially since he's been sore again recently (thank goodness he has a good trim!). *If* canagliflozin effects on fat metabolism are similar to those in humans, it may be the best overall choice for horses with this pony-like metabolism because it stimulates the protein (lipoprotein lipase) that breaks down circulating triglycerides. If you want to try it, your vet will have to agree and I can send him some background information. You need to check a blood chemistry at the start and 2 months in. Also buy some urine test strips and monitor his urine for signs of infection about every 2  weeks or if he shows any signs of urinary tract infection (see previous threads).

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale