Re: Cluster of Severe EMS Cases
Dear Dr. Kellon - Here's the info you've requested on my mare Sunny whose insulin has consistantly been elevated:
1) located near Red Bluff in N. California
2) 13 y. o. TWH mare
3) I started testing her (Cornell) Sept. 2018. Insulin consistantly over 200 (except 10/12/18 when it was 195.26). Glucose around 100 in fall of 2018. She really crashed spring of 2019 - glucose was 202.
4) Our hay is grown NE of Redding, high plains area around Burney.
5) Diet: low sugar/starch mixed grass hay (I don't weigh it but make sure she gets enough to have some left at the next meal. Being overweight is not one of her problems.), 2 1/2 c. Stabul 1 with 1/2 c. alfalfa pellets (so she'll eat it) twice per day as the carrier for minerals to balance her hay, 3 T. salt, 2000 I.U. Vit. E, 3/4 cup ground flax, 2 T. jiaogulan (divided between AM & PM), 2,000mcg chromium yeast twice per day (I'm grasping at straws!), & 3g AAKG twice per day for cold-induced hoof pain. Water analysed - no detectable iron found.
6) 1.25mg compounded pergolide (brought her ACTH down nicely but didn't affect insulin) & 22,000 mg Metformin (divided between AM & PM) to lower blood sugar (4/11/19 glucose was 202, 9/6/19 was 139, 12/12/19 was 153).
7) No case history.
Hope this helps.
Sue (Laurente) & Sunny
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 11:06:57 AM PST, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:
I'm trying to collect information on all the cases of severely elevated insulin (200 uIU/1200 pmol or higher), usually also with elevated glucose, in horses or ponies/minis located in western Canada and along the west coast of the US. If you have one of these, please send the following information to drkellon "at" gmail.com.
1. The animal's location, including nearest city or town, and how long you have been there
2. Animal's age, breed and sex
3. Insulin and glucose at diagnosis or time of severe worsening
4. Where your hay is grown
5. Other items in the diet
6. Treatments tried and response to them
7. Link to your case history on ECIR if you have one
Any other comments are welcome.
Eleanor in PA
www.drkellon.com 2 for 1 course sale