Re: Cluster of Severe EMS Cases - long shot Johnson Grass

Cass Bernstein

Dr Kellon, at least two grasses being sold a orchard grass in northern California are NOT orchard grass. One in particular looks very attractive because it’s very leafy and persistently green hay. I received several bale in the past few years, and the nitrate levels were off the charts, 7700 ppm nitrate ion, 5100 ppm nitrate ion.  I haven't tested for cyanide but would be willing to if I can find a lab to do it.

I suspect some kind of Johnson Grass (an invasive plant in California). The hay I received with off the charts nitrates levels had these seed heads, remains very green even though 2 years old. I’m attaching a photo.

Cass

On Dec 18, 2019, at 11:06 AM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

I'm trying to collect information on all the cases of severely elevated insulin  (200 uIU/1200 pmol  or higher), usually also with elevated glucose, in horses or ponies/minis located in western Canada and along the west coast of the US. If you have one of these, please send the following information to drkellon "at" gmail.com.

1.  The animal's location, including nearest city or town, and how long you have been there
2.  Animal's age, breed and sex
3.  Insulin and glucose at diagnosis or time of severe worsening
4.  Where your hay is grown
5.  Other items in the diet
6.  Treatments tried and response to them
7.  Link to your case history on ECIR if you have one

Any other comments are welcome.

Thank you.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale

Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (not)
Sonoma County, Calif
Diamond Case History