Re: Cold weather and insulin

Tanna

Thank you very much Nancy!

From the 2015 conference:
Winter laminitis may be defined as bilateral front hoof pain that develops during the cold months in horses with a history of IR, with or without Cushing’s, with typically no obvious precipitating event.
I suppose there is a possibility (?) of a non IR, horse who has a history of terrible feet and mechanical damage contributing to reduced blood flow to the hoof, to experience pain but is this typically a condition that effects a horse with IR only? Dr. K indicates in her proceedings that a "normal horse" with "normal circulation" can adapt to the cold... "normal" being non IR?

Also, in reference to the study:

The ECIR Group winter laminitis APF trial used 10 horses with a history of winter laminitis not controlled by blanketing, wraps, and boots. The basic Diagnosis, Diet and Trim (DDT) protocol was in place. ACTH was controlled in PPID subjects. The diet was IR appropriate. Hoof form was appropriate. All of these horses had their hoof pain eliminated by using APF, 10 mls once or twice daily.
The power of APF is pretty awesome!

For those of us who do not have easy access to APF is there a specific component of APF that helps most with this? In Canada, for example, I have found a lesser adaptogen (EnduraGin) which contains several of the same ingredients but at a lesser potency. I wonder if it would also help some?

Also, in theory, (sorry it's early) would hot water hosing of the lower limbs help in cases of acute pain?

Thanks!

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)