Re: Logan Insulin increase

Irene Collins-Fotino

Hi All,

Please disregard that prevous email, it got away from me:

Hi Amy,

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence especially the part about that 10-11 is the target max.
The only thing I would add (besides I'm kind of surprised his insulin has been as close as it has to normal (keeping in mind that 10-11 is the target max) in the past with his ACTH numbers--wow!  those are really high)
The target range for insulin is 10-40. No he is not eating bananas or any treats as far as I know.
Everyone at the barn knows he is a "no treat" horse. Of course we do get visitors from time to time
so that is an unknown. He does occasionally pull me and others to grass, but that is a momentary
issue.

You're right  - his ACTH numbers are crazy high. I'm still trying to understand Dr. Kellon's remark
that there are horses with high ACTH that are "biologically inactive". I asked my vet about this
also and she said that he IS showing biological signs i.e., longer hair, insulin increase, dropped
back (although his topline has increased substanially with the TriAmino acids). So if anyone
can explain this further, I would so appreciate it!

He seems to be doing well. I'm back to riding him - he has an issue with right-rear hamstrings,
so we are trying to be careful to work those. He has lots of energy.
I'm looking for some suggestions to replace the InsulinWise.

Thank you all so much!
--

Irene & Logan
NRC 2009