Re: Transitioning from prascend to compounded pergolide

Sherry Morse

Hi Jan,

How did your vet send the prescription in to Wedgewood?  If it was written as 2mg of pergolide as pergolide mesylate it's equivalent to 2 Prascend.  If it was not written that way it will be less.

You can reference this post: Amount of pergolide in compounded capsules vs Prascend as well as this one: Re: Switching from Prascend to CP

As far as the sweating - that may be an indication that his PPID isn't as controlled as it should be so I would suggest bloodwork now rather than waiting until March and adjusting his dose of pergolide accordingly.  Cyproheptadine is an old treatment for PPID and from what I've read not a very reliable one.  You can read one study on it comparing it to using pergolide here: Treatment with Pergolide or Cyproheptadine of Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction (Equine Cushing's Disease)