Re: I.r. horse questioning joint injections

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If she's really IR (only testing will tell), corticosteroids are out. I'd be more concerned about treating  for bursitis without ruling out an underlying cause but then again I don't know the history or what has been done already.  Since we don't know if she's IR, this discussion is really OT but I would say you need ultrasound, radiographs and sometimes bone scan to uncover the real cause of the bursitis (unless you know she got kicked or something) and until then I would use topical Sore No More rubs three or four times a day.