Re: Is Spookiness pergolide side-effect?

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

We have to be aware of claims like "heightened awareness". How on earth could anyone tell that? It sounds like being picky but building on an assumption like that could take us in the wrong direction about what the horse is actually experiencing - or why.

It's important for all of us to be as accurate as possible without making assumptions. For example, if a horse has an exaggerated reaction to touch, just call it that. Don't assume pain, heightened awareness, horse couldn't see you coming or any other internal experience the horse may be having but we can't know about. By doing this we keep our minds open and in time may figure out what is going on.

I've told this story before so apologize to those who know it already! In the early days of this group we had a member with a pony that was as loved as any pony could be. The owner described how her grandchildren could crawl under the pony and up her legs with no reaction and they never had to worry about the little ones around the pony. After starting pergolide, the sainted pony got a LOT more active - never hurt anyone but she wasn't the statue they were used to having. Her owner was horrified until she came to understand her pony just felt glad to be alive again.

I'm not saying that has any relevance to the current spookiness question. Just don't jump to conclusions.