Re: constant laminitic episodes

Sherry Morse

Hi Dr. Sink,

There's a lot of stuff going on with this gelding and therefore I put this message through even though your signature wasn't done yet.  Thanks for getting that completed so quickly

Because this is a client horse I have to ask that you review our Terms of Use at https://www.ecirhorse.org/terms-of-use.php, particularly section 4. d regarding the sharing of information about this horse.  We generally prefer that the owner of the horse join the group so they can learn directly how to manage their horse and also provide the information in the Case History that we really need to be able to effectively help each horse (more on how to do the Case History is in the email you were already sent and will be touched on further down in this welcome note).

To start to address your concerns - high ACTH and Insulin point to this horse being both IR and PPID and therefore in needed of a diet change (see the DIET section below) as well as treatment with Pergolide or Prascend.  We recommend immediately starting the horse on soaked hay until the hay can be tested and eliminating commercial grain.  Obviously there's no way to know if this has happened or not with a case history (it's easier to have all this information in one place rather than going through emails to find it which is one of the reasons we ask for this to be done).  Generally speaking once Prascend or Pergolide is started a horse can be retested after 3 weeks to see if the dose is effective but I'm not clear if you decided to up his dose because he was still lame or because his blood work showed no change.

Bute - as you've already discovered - does little to help a horse with metabolic laminitis.  It may help with body pains related to stance, but isn't going to address the cause of the lameness or provide relief as the actual trigger needs to be removed.

A proper trim (addressed in the TRIM section below) goes a long way to helping a metabolic horse recover from laminitis so getting permission to share the x-rays as well pictures of the feet will allow us to make suggestions for getting the horse on the right track for recovery.

So with all that being said, what follows is our general introduction letter so grab a cup of your favorite beverage and be prepared to take some notes!