Re: Correct Pergolide dosage before seasonal rise?

Sherry Morse

Hi Dawn,

What kind of pergolide are you using?  As I'm sure you know not all types are created equal and not all maintain their potency over a period of time so that's the first thing to be addressed.  Were he mine and depending on the type of pergolide you're using I would titrate him up a full mg (3.5mg total) and then retest 3 weeks after that dose has been started.  If he's still showing an elevated reading that would be a sign that a further increase is needed or you may want to look at Cabergoline as an option, but again to start - what type of pergolide is he on?

As far as the dosage question - the correct dose is the one that controls the ACTH of the horse, and that obviously varies from one individual to another.

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 12:35:30 PM EDT, Dawn & Qharma <dawn_winans@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Forgive me Dr Kellon, for I have been a bad mom, it's been 11 months since my last bloodwork and unfortunately the recent numbers came back bad.  I should have clued in earlier as his skin/coat has been bad and he got a little tenderfooted for no reason.

He's on 2.5 mg Pergolide and the ACTH is 112.

My question is should I double the Pergolide dose now?  Or increase gradually in 1 mg increments?  Increase to what dose?  How long will it take for the ACTH level to decrease?

He's only 10 yrs old - I'm scared what dose he's going to be on when he's 20!

The calculator shows that he went from a RSQI of Uncompensated IR in 04/16/2019 to Poorly Compensated IR.  Which is worse?

I seem to vaguely remember reading that there is a surgery to remove the tumor that causes PPID?  Is there such a surgery or am I just wishful thinking?

Thanks for your help!
Dawn
--
Dawn & Qharma