Re: Step counter

Sherry Morse

Pat,

They've used GPS trackers on the New Bolton pony herd to track how far they walk in a day.  I believe they just attached them to the halters but to find out for sure I would suggest you contact Dr. McDonald - her contact information is here: https://www.vet.upenn.edu/research/academic-departments/clinical-studies-new-bolton-center/centers-laboratories/research-laboratory/havemeyer-equine-behavior-research-lab.

As an aside, the average - off the top of my head - was close to 20 miles a day for mares.