Re: Senior Gelding Diagnosed with cushings and having bladder issues

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Do you mean he needs to gain weight?  Many PPID/Cushing's horses have insulin resistance which makes grain dangerous. You need to check insulin before feeding grain. All commercial grain mixes and balancers have way too much calcium for him. So does beet pulp. Get the hay and insulin tested, send to me at kellon "at" uckele.com and I'll figure out a diet for you.  In the meantime, get him some TC Naturals Golden Ground Flax and you can feed up to 1 lb/day.  See if you can locate some grass hay pellets.