Fermenting hay

Kim Leitch

I have not had to soak hay in the Summer before, and when I got to the barn this morning, it smelled like a brewery! There was about 0.2 lbs. of hay left in each horses nets. I have read through the messages and have some good suggestions of what I need to do, mainly aerating it and smaller amounts in the bags.
My question is, what can eating fermented hay do to a horse? Colic? When I dump the fermented hay out of the nets, they all immediately start eating it. Is it a problem for a horse to eat small amounts of fermented hay.

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits and Dually: IR; Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0