Re: Fermenting hay

Maria Duran

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 01:34 AM, Kim Leitch wrote:
I’m still trying to get an answer to my question about what effect eating fermented hay has on horses.

Someone more experienced and knowledgeable will be more precise than me but I believe the risk is in growing bacteria, mold and micotoxins. The horse might be asymptomatic because his immune system and liver can cope with it, have a mild diarrhea or in severe cases I guess colic and neurologic symptoms might develop depending in the type of toxin. This is my understanding but others might correct me if I am wrong

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History