Re: Time of day influencing glucose levels

celestinefarm

Cass, thank you. Besides the high temps for July, we have also been experiencing a drought. I know they should not be in a pasture , even with a muzzle on, but it is my only turnout. I have an outdoor sand arena, but like you, we have to spray and drag and spray( I have to use Liberty to kill mares tail and succulents) so it's often off limits and they will just stand in it with muzzles, and without muzzles, they will pull up weeds, and reach under the fence, etc. It's not an option.  I have been turning them out in their respective pastures early am until about noon, and despite being out, they have opted to come into the run in portion of the barn and stand by 10 am due to the heat.  So they are out trying to pick at grass for about two hours.  Otherwise, they are in stalls with haynets for the next 22 hours. I have never kept horses in like I have the past few months but I'm trying to balance preventing exposure to high sugar grass to simply standing around doing nothing.  I haven't been riding in the past year but all three need to move more.

All three of them have soft crests (Juniper and Tipperary have experienced hard crests , and fat lumps in the past.. Both of them look better right now than they looked this past winter as far as weight and overt signs) It's like I'm looking in Alice's mirror with the numbers.  Before I've had lower insulin and glucose in the face of obvious clinical symptoms.  I was pretty pleased with how things were looking and decided as a precaution to test early to get ahead of PPID increases. I was absolutely stunned when I got these numbers.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History