Re: Casteberry

celestinefarm

Kirsten, Tipperary"s ideal weight would be around #1050, which would equate to appx.16 lbs of hay. He currently gets daily 15 lbs , plus one pound of hay cubes, and one pound of Equal balance chopped hay per day.  I can't feed him hay in a hay net as it triggers his COPD. So I feed him shaken out flakes of steamed hay three times a day. I discontinue feeding him beet pulp in the summer as it just adds pounds. I can't reduce his hay any further. Reducing calories is one part of this, exercise is another. Just like with humans, Calories in , energy out.  All that changes however with health problems, age,  As an older horse, I have to be cognizant that he doesn't have great teeth, he doesn't absorb nutrients as well, and he needs a consistently filled gut for it to work properly. Colic in older horses is a big concern for me, I've lost a couple of horses to severe colic and I do not chance it . His hay is very moderate in sugar and starch. He's currently on 8 mgs. of pergolide as he does have out of range ACTH and I have increased him 1 mg in the last few weeks. I"m already seeing improvement in the stubborn fat pads he was carrying and in his crest. He doesn't get much exercise, I haven't ridden him in years and he is no longer breeding. So lack of exercise is one of the issues.
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary   

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Juniper Case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Dawn%20and%20Juniper/Case%20history%20Juniper.pdf .

Join main@ECIR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.