Re: Current Sinking Founder- 7yr Pony

celestinefarm

Dr. Kellon,
Metformin in humans can cause non absorption of Vit B12, which is a critical vitamin for various functions of the body, including neurological functions. Vit B12 supplementation is normally Rx along with Metformin.  Is this a possible concern in horses on Metformin?

-- https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/metformin-oral-route/before-using/drg-20067074
See under "other medical problems". I bring this up because my sister in law was on Glucophage for a while and Vit B 12 deficiency became a serious problem for her, manifesting itself in uncontrollable hand shaking even when her blood glucose was in a controlled range. Along with other issues, she had to discontinue it.

Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History