Re: Dried Oak Leaves - Donkeys


Sherry Morse
 

Hi Philippa,

A quick search of the Google says leaves can be dangerous to all species of animals:

Oak buds in the spring and green acorn hulls in the fall cause oak poisoning in horses. Oak toxins are highest in:

  • Immature leaves

  • Members of the black and red oak species

  • Immature acorns


https://news.vet.tufts.edu/2018/09/ask-the-expert-the-truth-about-acorn-toxicity/: Oak (Quercus species) toxicity in horses is not common. While most portions of the oak tree; blossoms, buds, leaves, stems, and acorns can be toxic, horses are often not affected because it requires eating a large amount of oak leaves or acorns to show clinical signs.



Join main@ECIR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.