Re: V/M supplement/ diet help

Kristin Horton

Thank you, Cindy!  I will work on the case history.

He is a bit foot sore, however he has been tender since I removed his shoes several years ago- only on the concrete aisle- he is fine in the pasture. I just purchased him some soft ride boots, Unfortunately, it is so wet here right now, I haven't been able to use them. If they do not work, I will put shoes back on him.  I removed them because he is not a fan of standing for the farrier for too long and since he was semi retired, he didn't need them.  Body Condition is good (5/6). We did not test for IR, I was under the impression he needed to be fasted and since much of his anxiety is around meal time and we just finally got his ulcers under control, we did not want to stress him more than necessary.  He also has to be sedated with a tube of DormGel prior to the vet arriving and it is still stressful for him.  We have spoken about testing when he has his recheck.  I think the biggest issue I have is that I have to keep his mental health as a top priority, so I am not sure how much of his environment I would be able to safely change if he was IR. My plan was to do as much as I can to feed him like he is IR, without stressing him and having ulcers come back.  I have a bag on OHS and add it in the winter, so thank you for that info- I will begin adding it now to his diet and see if this allows me to decrease the textured feed. If I go with the Cal Trace, I will also order the MagOx at small doses- this may also help with some of his anxiety.  The AlfaLox is ESC 6.6% and starch 0.6%, but I didn't even think about the 7% fat.  I will pick up some of the TC Timothy Cubes and see if he likes them and try to replace the AlfaLox with them- great suggestion.  I have asked the hay suppliers for hay analysis and will definitely keep working on this- as you said, even if I could get an estimate, it would at least give me an idea if the sugar/starch was acceptable.  Just for my own information, I am curious what part of the Ration Balancer TC30 is not a good choice- I see that it has added iron, which is why I add Copper/Zinc- is it all the extra stuff (fillers) that may not be necessary? ESC 9.2% and sugar is 1.8%.  I am happy to replace it with Cal Trace or VB.  I am leaning towards Cal Trace, since it has a pellet option available.  I will keep reading and learning.  I appreciate you responding and sorry I have so many questions.  It is a lot to take in and find a good balance.  I thank you and the group.

--
Kristin Horton

--
Kristin Horton, FL, 2020